Sound Body, Sound Mind

I recently started P90X. Yeah, I guess I'm one of those guys. So what? Wanna fight about it? If so, please come back in 90 days.

At any rate, I let my weight get a little out of control while studying for the bar exam, and have been struggling with it ever since. I worked hard last year to shed about 20-25 pounds from my heaviest point, but after that I reached another plateau that was difficult to break through. I figured that I had to do something pretty extreme to shatter it, because I was already watching what I ate and exercising regularly, so I figured P90X was just the thing to help me out. Besides, who hasn't been mesmerized by those infomercials after waking up early on a Saturday morning and not being able to get back to sleep? I finally bit the bullet and, after wading through about 5 different "special offers" on BeachBody's website, ordered the DVDs.

So far, so good. I've lost 4 pounds in 5 days so far, and best of all, I don't find myself craving all of the sweet shit nearly as much as I used to. Granted, the first two days were BRUTAL. You really do need to be in reasonably good shape before starting the program, as it still absolutely kicked my ass for the first three days. I have no idea if the "muscle confusion" shit actually works in the long run, but so far it appears to be doing the trick.

Best of all, though, is that I find that I'm far more productive after a workout that intense. I came home from work today and worked pretty much non-stop on projects until bedtime, which is (for me) a huge accomplishment. I have more energy and stamina, both of which are at a premium currently with all of the shit on my plate. I also just feel better. It's difficult to describe, but I'm able to get in the zone much easier, and stay there for longer. When a lot of your projects involve creativity, that's incredibly important.

I'll keep updating my progress periodically, not necessarily only for your benefit, as I'm sure you're riveted by the story of some pudgy asshole trying to get back in shape. Rather I want to put this information out there to hold myself accountable, so that the next time you see me at a party or a wedding or whatever, I'm not chowing down on fried chicken or pizza. If I am, you can come up to me with a shit-eating grin on your face, give me a thumbs up, and tell me, "Whoa, bro, P90X, lookin' good!", before I throw the drumstick at your face and get tired chasing you around the room. I think I'll stick with it. I hope I do. If not, my credibility is completely shot, so no big deal, right?

Questions? Comments? Wondering why this is being posted so late? E-mail me at djssuperblog@gmail.com. Follow me on twitter @djgelner.

Labels: , , ,